Get Adobe Flash player
FAR NORTH Reaching the Few By Kelli Reese If you had asked me in Bible college what I was planning to do with my life, I probably would have answered, “Get married, have lots of children, and be a missionary somewhere.” I had envisioned going where there were hundreds of kids everywhere just waiting to hear the Gospel. I had thought of perhaps going to the Philippines where there is a great need among the thousands of orphans or maybe going to Africa to work in one of the orphanages there. I just wanted to reach lots of children for Christ. If you had asked me if I would consider going to Newfoundland, I would have answered, “Where in the world is that?” The children in Newfoundland were certainly not in my plans for my life. Yet, God has wonderfully directed my steps so that I have spent the last ten years as a single missionary reaching children on the island of Newfoundland. Newfoundland is a rocky island in the Atlantic that is one of Canada's ten provinces. Newfoundland has a population of 509,200­— 40 percent of those people living in the capital city of St. John's. The other 60 percent are spread 4 among smaller coastal communities. Many of these communities are extremely isolated and have populations of anywhere from 60 to 560. Most of these communities have never had a Gospel witness. It has been my privilege for the last ten years to introduce Newfoundlanders, both adults and children, to Jesus. I am sent to Newfoundland by Victory Bible Baptist Church in Irmo, South Carolina. I accepted Christ as my Savior at the age of four, and it has been my desire to serve Him with my life. I have served as a missionary on the island with the ministry of Cornerstone Baptist Church and more recently with First Baptist Church. The Lord has given me the unique opportunity to hold Bible Clubs each summer in many of the outport communities that have very little or no Gospel witness. Finding a place to meet can be quite challenging. We have made use of many different types of facilities, including community centers, schools, playgrounds, and church basements. Most of these places have very few children. Some may