Back to main magazine page now!!

up. Before long we were too crowded so
we asked our landlord if we could dig out
the basement and put in a door to the
outside in order to have more space. The
Lord kept us in the basement for nine
years. No doors opened in our quest for
a more suitable meeting place. During
this time souls were saved, many were
baptized, and several Christian families
joined our efforts to share God’s Word.

We found that the web effect of reaching
others through the families and mem-
bers in the church most effective.

One of the men who came to know the
Lord in this way was the coach of the
area soccer team. He was a friend to
one of our faithful men and had heard
the Gospel more than once from this
friend. He was indifferent for many
months, but one Sunday he came to the
morning service. He told us later it was
as if he were the only one in the room
and God was speaking directly to him.

He gave his life to the Lord and became
a faithful servant of Christ. He wanted
to be baptized but was living with his
companion and not married to her.

Bob went to see them and shared the
Gospel with her. She gave her heart to
Christ and they made plans to marry. A
few weeks after the wedding, they were
baptized. Their older son is active in
the church and their daughter teaches
in children’s church and AWANA Club.

Many have come to the Lord because of
their testimonies.

After 24 years, our landlord informed us
that he was moving to the industrial zone
from the building behind our house.

Were we inter-
ested in renting
this space? Were
we ever! We had
been praying his
business would
prosper so he would need more room.

God answered this prayer! The Lord sent
Brother John Abuhl to assume the main
brunt of the extensive renovations. After
six months of full-time work with help
from members, the building was ready
for services. We now had room for over
100 people with a nursery, bathroom,
a classroom, and an office. Many were
saved. They were baptized in a portable
baptistery. Weddings were performed
and babies dedicated. I began one week-
ly ladies’ meeting, then a second, plus an
AWANA Club. The teen ministry blos-
somed, a choir was formed, and camp
work both in winter and summer kept
us busy.

The attendance climbed to over 100, so
once again the men began the quest for
a more suitable meeting place. For three
years they visited buildings but found
nothing to fit our needs. Then a business
that sold coffins and tombstones went up
for sale. As a church, we made an offer.

It was refused. A year later it was still for
sale, so we made another offer. This time
it was accepted! The bank grudgingly
granted a loan but demanded that five
members sign for the loan. The owner of
our house and church building allowed
three months for the transition because
there were specifications to fulfill before
the town government would give
permission for public meetings. Not
only the members but also a team from
the Bible institute and Christians from
area churches took time to help. With
the Lord’s help we made the deadline.

We now have one of the nicest and most
practical meet-
ing places in
the Paris area.

There is room
for 150 in the
main audito-