Greenland
Located northeast of Canada is the world’s largest island — Greenland. Greenland is over three times the size of Texas, but has a population of less than 60,000. Almost all of the population lives along the southwestern coast of the island, with nearly one-quarter of the people living in the capital city of Nuuk. Of those living in Greenland, approximately 88% are Greenlanders and the remaining 12% are made up mainly of those who are of Danish descent. The native people of Greenland are the Greenlanders, Eskimos, and Inuits; and the languages spoken on the island are the native Greenlandic language, the Danish language and the English language.

The climate and geographic conditions of Greenland make missionary endeavors extremely difficult. This frigid land is about 81% ice-capped, and there is continuous permafrost over the northern two-thirds of the island. Transportation is difficult due to the weather, and because there are no roads between towns. To add to the difficulty of the physical climate, there is also the difficulty of the spiritual climate. The national religion of Greenland is the Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church. The grip of this religion, along with other major denominations — such as Roman Catholicism — is unmistakable among the people. In comparison to the established religions of Greenland, Independent Baptists are almost nonexistent in this part of God’s harvest field.

Although we are often reminded of the need to evangelize Greenland when we sing the hymn “From Greenland’s Icy Mountains,” Greenland is a land which seems to be neglected when it comes to missions. Those who would heed Christ’s call to go to this island will surely need to rely solely on His grace and strength to establish an Independent Baptist Church. Without a doubt, the missionary who labors in Greenland faces a great challenge. However, when Christ gave the Great Commission, He also gave the great promise, “…Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” Therefore, no matter what challenge the missionary faces, he does not face it alone. The land of Greenland presents a unique opportunity for the missionary who is up for the challenge of this needy field.

Missionaries in Greenland:


For More Information...
For more information on Greenland and the 100 Nations Project, please E-Mail our Far North director (View Email Address) for a free DVD. Please be sure to include your name and mailing address in the body of your email.




Wednesday, November 26, 2014