There are countless people who wonder about God’s calling and missions. They have sincere and relevant questions. However, they do not know where to get straightforward answers. Look no further! You have found the place!
• Camp BIMI is staffed by experienced BIMI missionaries who answer all your questions.
• A strong foundation in missions is provided.
• Many hours of classes pertaining to preparation and reality of missionary life and service are taught.
• No one is "talked into missions."
• Each one is educated beyond the concept of adventure and excitement that usually surrounds the idea of being a missionary. Some do change their minds by week's end and that is good because they can then discover what special things the Lord has for them to accomplish in another area of ministry or vocation.
• Churches and pastors are benefited. Camp BIMI helps to prevent missionary dropouts in the future. From the time students know missions is God's calling, until they leave for the field, we are available to our alumni!
Our goal is to combat missionary casualties. Thus, Camp BIMI teaches participants the realities of missionary life and service before they make that final commitment.
Dr. Gerry Baughman, founder of Camp BIMI, stated, "Speaking from experience and exposure in missions since 1965, I have listened intently as missionaries, from many mission boards, sadly share why they left the mission field." Each story has a common thread. In response, we have strategically targeted those "thread" areas and designed a focused, yet relaxing, environment to educate and encourage potential missionaries.
It is important to understand that Camp BIMI will not replace your college education, even if you are a mission’s major. It is comparable to a college modular and will further enhance your preparation for the mission field. Several Christian colleges give college credits for those who complete Camp BIMI. Camp BIMI I covers the basics of missions. Camp BIMI II is comprised of advanced classes and practical workshops for those continuing to actively pursue missionary life and service. Camp BIMI III covers critical topics that challenge, advise and encourage alumni in their pursuit of missions.
SMART is Student Missionary Apprentice Reality Training, and it is exclusively for Camp BIMI alumni who are 18 years of age or older.
Why is it unique? Because it is designed to simulate actually being a missionary and going through each process from beginning to end—from deputation to furlough—and everything in between. Upon completion of a “mini-deputation,” SMART team members travel to two culturally distinct fields for a period of four weeks. Complete immersion—living as the people do, eating national foods, learning new languages, and participating in various ministries—helps participants KNOW if missions is really for them. SMART provides excellent practical exposure to a wide variety of cultural differences and missionary work. All SMART students are evaluated and must be involved in Bible and tract distribution, evangelism through a national church, and a physical work project. Upon their return, team members are required to create displays, compose prayer letter reports, and present their ministries to their home churches. Please remember that you must have attended Camp BIMI I in order to participate in a SMART trip.
We have the pleasure to offer you one of the most incredible trips that Camp BIMI has ever offered! If you have ever wanted to visit Africa, this is the trip! Come with us to the southern region of Africa as we tour the ministry potential in three countries: Botswana, Lesotho, and South Africa. We will be hosted by the Africa Field Director Eric Bohman and his wife, Lori, as well as joined by veteran missionaries Chad and Vicki Branch (South Africa) and Mike and Cindy Haley (Botswana). Using their combined ministry experience of over 75 years, you will learn church planting in a variety of settings.
There will be a multiplicity of outreach ministries, such as personal evangelism, Bible and tract distribution, community Bible studies, school Bible clubs, etc. Then we will travel to the country of Lesotho and learn how to survey a country for future missionary work. At present, we are not aware of any independent Baptist missionary serving in that country. There will not be a dull moment!
We also will have the opportunity to learn from the past as we follow in the steps of David Livingstone. We will visit the mission station of his famous father-in-law Robert Moffat in Kuruman and then the site of Livingstone’s station in Kolobeng. It was in Kuruman, South Africa, that the young Livingstone worked briefly and it was where he proposed to Moffat’s daughter, Mary, who later became his wife. From there the young family traveled up to modern day Botswana where they set up their first mission station along the Kolobeng River. We will be able to visit these places and learn from their successes as well as seeming failures.
Of course, no trip to Africa can be complete without an African Safari! The price will include a one day safari with the opportunity to see everything! It will also include a special “5-star” meal of wild game arranged in a “bush” setting. An awesome experience you will NEVER forget!
However, this trip is not for everybody! Only for Camp BIMI alumnus! Space is limited, and the price is still being finalized, but we estimate that it will be around $3,450. You will have the opportunity to learn how to raise funds like a missionary and how to communicate with and report to your supporters. This will be a “hands-on” missions experience! If you feel God may have missions in your future, this trip is for you! However, we need to hear from you right away if there is interest. All enquiries can Email us(view Email Address).
Do you fit in one of these three categories?
• Definitely called to full-time missionary service
• Definitely called to full-time service but searching for the specific area of service—open to missions
• Not called yet but totally surrendered to what the Lord wants you to do
• Begin by filling out the Preliminary Application by clicking here. This will begin your application process.
• During the first part of January, you will receive the full application for Camp BIMI. After receiving the full application, please complete and return it as soon as possible along with your $75 non-refundable deposit. If you pay in full by March 1, there is a 10% discount (making the total cost $314.10 after the discount is applied).
CAMP BIMI Director
David & Barb Snyder Read more about the Snyders. He can be contacted through the BIMI office (423) 344-5050.